Lighter-Than-Air Chocolate Roll
No flour = no gluten. It is so easy to make with just five ingredients. Delight your friends with this intense chocolate flavour! YUM
- 6 oz chocolate (semisweet or dark)
- 5-medium eggs
- 4 oz sugar substitute
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup of double cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence (this is an estimate, add to taste) or 1/4 tsp rum extract (should say essence and not extract) or 1/4 tsp brandy, essence add
- icing sugar for dusting
DIRECTIONS: – – – Line a 12 “x 8” Swiss roll tin with oiled parchment paper or brush a paper case (see below -for instructions) with melted butter.- – –
- Preheat oven to 350°F and make paper case if you have not already done so in advance
- Melt chocolate in the water using a double boiler.
- Separate the eggs.
- When the chocolate is a thick cream, remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, beat yolks and add half of the sugar substitute gradually with pinch of salt until mixture is lemon coloured.
- With a spatula blend chocolate into egg yolk mixture. Do not beat.
- Whip the egg whites until they form a firm snow.
- Gently cut and fold the egg whites into the mixture. If there are pieces of egg white remaining, that is fine. Pour the mixture into the prepared oiled parchment case.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until firm when touched. Do not over bake.
- Wet a clean cloth in cold water and wring out.
- Remove roulade from oven, allow to cool slightly, then cover with cloth (this will prevent any sugary crust from forming).
- Leave in a cool place for 12 hours or in a fridge overnight.
- Whip the cream with the other half of the sugar substitute and flavour to taste with the vanilla extract.
- Turn the roulade upside down and carefully remove the parchment paper.
- Spread with the whipped cream. Keep the whipped cream an inch from the end to prevent overflow. You can optionally add berries to this layer.
- Using the towel, gradually roll up like a Swiss roll.
- Place on a serving dish and dust well with icing sugar and decorate with whipped cream and fruit if you wish. ( Decorate using a pastry bag with a star tip or fill a zippered plastic bag with whipped cream and cut a hole in the corner like I did.)
- How to make a roulade paper case:
- Using parchment paper or nonstick kitchen paper.
- It should be 8″ by 12″. Pencil can be used to draw the dimensions but fold to keep the pencil marks to the outside of the case.
- Fold the border on all 4 sides.
- Use paperclips or staple to secure the corners.
- Lightly brush with melted butter or oil.
- Slide the case onto a baking sheet.