VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE and so are tacos. SPICY! AYE-E-E-E !!!!I This Taco Recipe gets you to Flavor Town. Colonel Sanders is not the only one with a secret recipe….My special spices will make you come back for more! I am sharing my secret taco recipe here at Simply Splendid Food with you. Friends have said it’s the best tacos they have E-V-E-R had! Would you agree?
Tacos are fast to prepare. A traditional Mexican dish.
Tacos and an ice cold beer in a frosty mug is a Taco Marriage.
- 1 1/2 lb ground meat
- 1/2 lb. ground pork or veal
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary, about one sprig
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 10 pods cardamon
- 2 tbsp. chili powder + more if needed, after mixing all ingredients
- Pinch of salt (pink or sea salt with added iodine) and pepper to taste.
- good salt makes a difference. Irish salt is one of the best tasting salt.
- 1 – 2 medium cooking onion -diced
- 3 garlic cloves -minced
- 1 – 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 10 medium flour tortillas
- Grind and mix your spices together (except salt and pepper) using a mortar and pestle
- Heat onions and rosemary in oil until translucent.
- Add your spices. Mix for 10 seconds longer. Add fresh garlic.
- Add ground meat and blend in the onions and spices until meat is brown.
- Add salt and pepper after meat has been browned.
- Take a nose test and smell your mixture. If you need more chili powder add more. I added about 1/2 tsp ground chili flakes.
- OPTIONAL: Add heat: Red pepper flakes ( a sprinkle ) or fresh Mexican green chili. You can add diced, raw jalapeño peppers in the mix in the end (with or without seeds). The seeds are the heat. No additional cooking.
- TIP: Place tortilla/taco in toaster to warm up. Hint: Gently fold over the tortilla and insert into a toaster slot.
- SUBSTITUTE: For a hearty wrap use burrito wraps or lettuce wrap.
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese: shredded or diced
- Optional: Add home made refried bean paste to the base of a tortilla [ or burrito – I use both wraps]
- EXTRA ZIP: add diced jalapeño or banana peppers. You choose your heat!
This recipe can be refrigerated 3-4 days for another meal -> a fast, healthy lunch or dinner. To serve again pop your tacos in the toaster. Heat up a portion of meat in the microwave oven. Assemble your taco as you like it. I still had about 1/3 cup of taco mix after a few more meals. I added my mix as a topping to a four cheese pizza I purchased ‘on sale’ at the grocery store. I also added sliced kumato tomatoes. Ready in 12 minutes! YUM-M-M!
Home Made Tacos
I found a great site today for homemade tacos. Click here . When you ‘Download” the recipe, Terrie includes a page on “Tips For Success. What I learned the hard way!” This is wonderful! I have ordered my Masa Harina online and will enjoy turning another new page in my culinary journey.