There are a million meatloaf recipes from the classics to grandma’s favorite. Are you ready for another one? Why is this recipe so different and so good? One reason is that I made fresh bread crumbs from rye bread! ( It was the only bread in the house.) The result was truly fantastic. “Necessity is the mother of invention.”
- 1 cup fine fresh breadcrumbs (from 6 slices rye bread. How to make it. .see below)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped (entire celery with leaves on – if you have it)
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil (or – your preferred cooking oil ),
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck, preferably 20% fat
- 1/2 pound ground pork ( half beef and half pork works well too)
- 1/3 of a Nutmeg -grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup, divided
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Prepare baking sheet with 2 buttered pyrex or loaf tins.
- Place fine ‘Rye Bread’ crumbs at the bottom of a large mixing bowl.(preferable stainless steel).
- Pulse onion, celery, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. (Alternatively, you can chop by hand.)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onion celery, garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in Worcestershire. Add beef, pork, eggs, 1/4 cup ketchup, and remaining 1 1/4 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper to breadcrumb mixture. Mix with your hands to combine. Then, add cooled onion mixture, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Mix to blend. (Please wear disposable gloves while mixing.) Note: Dividing the salt and pepper gives a more even distribution.
- Form meatloaf mixture into a long, lightly-packed, approximately 5″-wide loaf shape on prepared baking sheet. Brush top of loaf with 1/4 cup ketchup. Bake meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 155°F, 60–75 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
BREAD CRUMB INSTRUCTIONS: To make a fine crumb with fresh breadcrumbs, preheat oven to 300°F. Place 6 slices rye, marble rye or light rye bread on a baking sheet. Bake until completely dry and just beginning to turn toasty golden brown, 15–20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Then, pulse in a food processor to get a fine crumb.
Nutmeg comes from the seed of the Myristica fragrans tree. Indonesia produces the majority of the world’s nutmeg. The spice flavors many dishes, both savory and sweet, in cuisine across the globe. Nutmeg is a rich source of antioxidants, which help protect against the signs of aging and serious conditions such as cancer, heart disease, and liver disease.
- Instead of ketchup you can use a mushroom gravy. Add mushrooms 🍄 to the meatloaf and also have it as a topping in a white sauce. 🍄
- Certified Organic beef; no antibiotics or growth hormones added. Grain fed or grass fed cows.
- Plant based meat substitute.
- Pasture raised pork. No- GMO. Free of antibiotics and hormones.
Let me know how you made out! Share with your friends and facebook and twitter! Sharing is caring! ☺️❤️😏
Meatloaf Muffins – Trending
Very cute. Same recipe placed in muffin tins. Less cooking time. I have not made this version. If you are adventurous, you might want to try it out. Let me know how they turn out! ☺️