1 cup cranberries (can be frozen, no need to defrost)
1/4 cup (50g) ground almonds
2 tbsp (30gm) rice flour
1/2 cup (100g) sugar substitute
2 free range eggs
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup (250g) milk (2% or whole)
1 tbsp(30g) melted unsalted butter
2 tbsp(30g) sliced almonds
1) Preheat oven to 375 F ( 190C)
2) Line a spring form pan with parchment
3) Using a pastry or silicon brush the bottom and sides of pan with melted unsalted butter
4) Sprinkle a few tablespoons of the sweetened on the pan and rotate the pan to distribute evenly. Turn the pan upside down to let any access fall out. Keep any access sweetener to add to the batter.
5) Place pitted, sliced in half plums evenly on the spring form pan. Sprinkle the cranberries all around. It is alright to bake these from frozen. There is not need to defrost them.
6) Place in a blender the ground almonds, rice flour, sugar substitute, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and a pinch of salt. Blend the batter and pour it on the fruit. Scatter the top with sliced almonds and bake for 35-45 minutes until risen and golden brown.
7) Let cool and dip a knife into hot water and run it along the side on the spring form pan. Remove the ring. Slice using a knife dipped in hot water. Plate and serve warm ( topped with whipped cream – optional ).
DID YOU KNOW? Eating 6 almonds a day lowers your LDL (bad) cholesterol. Eating almonds also helps curb your appetite and regulates your blood sugar. It looks like a peach pit because it is a member of the prunus family (fruit trees). The polyphenols and antioxidants are thought to help fight off heart disease and cancer.
It is easy enough to make this dessert for two or just for yourself.
Just use half of the ingredients and bake in individual custard cups. I used frozen cherries for the individual servings. The flavour was a little flat as the cherries had very little acidity. I would add some grated lemon rind the next time I make this with cherries.
Enjoy one of them and refrigerate the other one for tomorrow!