Garlic or Allium sativum, is part of the Alium family. Other family members are onions, leeks, shallots and chives. The sharpness of raw garlic, the savoriness of roasted garlic packs a major punch of flavor.
“Raw garlic is most beneficial, since heat and water inactivate sulfur enzymes, which can diminish garlic’s antibiotic effects.” published by Lee Holmes, Heal Your Gut
Garlic has great flavour and health benefits. Garlic is used for building the immune system, fighting colds and flu! The famous Louis Pasteur first discovered that garlic kills bacteria. As a topical, garlic mixed with jojoba oil (or mineral oil) is used as an ointment for itchy, dry skin.
Marchand Lamarre, Ontario Garlic Farmer
Ask The Expert
Marchand highly recommends treating your garlic as a garnish. Garlic should be peeled and minced gently. Allow 5-10 minutes for the sulphur compounds to oxidize, this is when Allicin is formed. Allicin contains all the therapeutic and health benefits of fresh garlic. Avoid putting garlic directly in hot oil, this will destroy the Allicin. Instead add the garlic later in the cooking process. The garlic flavours will be enhanced and Allicin will not be lost.
We are proud Ontario farmers located in Kawartha Lakes and Haliburton.
We specialize in growing more than 25 varieties of premium seed garlic. All of our garlic is planted and harvested by hand. This quality control measure ensures only the best product is available for our customers.
To lean more about locally farmed garlic and buy online: please go to garlicloves.com
Three Most asked Questions: Why did you start Garlic farming? Ans: Garlic is a hardy plant that can withstand a wide temperature range, poor soils, and minimal inputs. I also consider it a plant with some of the greatest health benefits you can grow in Ontario. When considering the multiplier effects of planting garlic, It is possible to grow a lot of garlic in a short period of time (if you don't eat it all). Garlic is also a staple within so many cultures, thus appealing to so many target markets. Q2: When should you plant garlic? Ans: It is paramount to start growing garlic from a reliable source, disease free, clean seed stock. Garlic is usually planted in the fall, near the end of October. Each bulb is 'cracked' into individual cloves. Cloves are planted 3-5 inches deep and about 8-10 inches apart. Cover with mulch and leave in the ground over winter. The plants will sprout early in the spring and harvest comes late in July when half of the plants leaves have turned brown. Q3 Where is the best place to store my garlic? Ans: Garlic should never be stored in the fridge. This will only encourage the cloves to sprout. I recommend a cold storage room if you have one, lots of air circulation, consistent temperatures around 5 to 10 degrees Celsius and low humidity around 34 to 42%. In the kitchen, we usually keep a two-week supply of bulbs on the counter out of direct sunlight. Extra stock is kept in the cold cellar.
Thirty-Clove Garlic Soup (Vegan, Paleo)
This healing and nutritious roasted garlic soup is full of anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and gut-loving properties.
Thirty-Clove Garlic Soup
- 30 cloves of medium size garlic (3-5 garlic bulbs): whole, unpeeled, garlic heads)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (ghee or unsalted butter)
- one large onion -chopped
- 1 1/2 litre (50 fl oz/ 6 cups) vegetable stock + 1/2 cup of water
- 1 potato
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar ( or lemon juice)
- 60 ml (3 fl oz/1/4 cup/ 4 tbsp.) coconut milk** (optional)
- 1 tbsp wheat-free tamari
- 1 tsp sea salt -with added iodine (thyroid protection)
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 C / 345 F.
- Slice off the tip of each garlic bulb to expose the cloves Drizzle olive oil. Wrap in tin foil, place on baking tray cut side up for 35-40 minutes. Note -oven timing: Every oven is different. Make sure you can easily slip the garlic cloves from the head. Blend garlic with some stock in a food processor until smooth). You may use raw garlic* instead of roasted. (Raw garlic is preferred.)
- Saute onion in coconut oil for about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the stock , turmeric, pepper, cumin, vinegar (or lemon juice), tamari, red pepper flakes and blended garlic. Reduce heat to low-medium.
- Chop potato, add to blender ( magic bullet -or wand ) and puree. Hint: Add the lemon juice to the potato to prevent oxidization.Then, quickly add to your soup.
- Reduce the heat further to simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Added coconut milk, salt and stir thoroughly. Serve immediately with croutons. Add your own toppings like mushrooms or crispy capers (my favorite).
GARNISH: Chives, parsley, croutons, crispy capers [ Submerge capers in oil and microwave about 5 minutes until dark in color for a crispy topping ].
The garlic flavour in the soup wasn’t overpowering. The flavour is mellow, sweet and nutty. Turmeric gives the soup its golden colour. (Add a pinch of saffron for a richer golden colour.)
* Raw garlic -mince gently and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes, for sulphur to oxidize, before adding to the hot soup …garlic tip provided by Marchand Lamarre
** Coconut milk – If the spices are too strong, add the coconut milk until you find a good balance to your palate.
GARLIC TONIC SOUP
1 head of raw garlic. Once you have minced the garlic and let sit for 10 min. All that beautiful Allicin full of antibacterial, anti-parasitic, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties is ready for consumption. It should then go directly into the blender with the rest of the of warm stock. Add salt, pepper and turmeric. You may want to add cayenne pepper (boosts metabolism), red pepper flakes or minced ginger. [Serves one or 2 people]. To your base garlic soup, add cooked vegetables such as carrots, pumpkin, cauliflower, broccoli or zucchini ( puréed or chopped). Any left over veggies would be welcomed. Be creative.
Raw Garlic is a Super Food!
Consuming raw garlic with warm water in the morning can bring such effects and gives a refreshing feel. It enhances the proper functioning of your metabolic system. 1. Aids in weight loss 2. reduces Cholesterol levels 3. Controls Blood sugar, 4. Eases digestion 5. Antibiotic properties 6. Detoxifier 7. Improves bone strength
Note: Chew parsley to get rid of garlic breathe.