Lighter-Than-Air Chocolate Roll
No flour = no gluten. It is so easy to make with just a few ingredients. Delight your friends with this intense chocolate flavour! You would never believe it’s healthy! Gluten-free, paleo, and vegan too! Vegans know that flax egg is a chicken egg substitute. Plant-Based Milk (such as soy or almond) replaces the double cream. Vegan whip cream is made from – aquafaba (liquid from canned unsalted chickpeas or white beans)
- 6 oz chocolate (semisweet or dark)
- 5-medium eggs
- 4 oz sugar substitute
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup of double cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence (this is an estimate, add to taste) or 1/4 tsp rum essence or 1/4 tsp brandy
DIRECTIONS: – – – Line a 12 “x 8” Swiss roll tin with oiled parchment paper or brush a paper case (see below -for instructions) with melted butter.- – –
- Preheat oven to 350°F and make paper case if you have not already done so in advance
- Melt chocolate in the water using a double boiler.
- Separate the eggs.
- When the chocolate is a thick cream, remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, beat yolks and add half of the sugar substitute gradually with pinch of salt until mixture is lemon coloured.
- With a spatula blend chocolate into egg yolk mixture. Do not beat.
- Whip the egg whites until they form a firm snow.
- Gently cut and fold the egg whites into the mixture. If there are pieces of egg white remaining, that is fine. Pour the mixture into the prepared oiled parchment case.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until firm when touched. Do not over bake.
- Wet a clean cloth in cold water and wring out.
- Remove roulade from oven, allow to cool slightly, then cover with a cloth. I use a cotton tea towel. This will prevent any sugary crust from forming.
- Leave in a cool place for 12 hours or in a fridge overnight.
- Whip the cream with the other half of the sugar substitute and flavour to taste with the vanilla extract.
- Turn the roulade upside down onto the cloth/kitchen table top and carefully remove the parchment paper.
- Spread with the whipped cream. Keep the whipped cream an inch from the end to prevent overflow. You can optionally add berries to this layer.
- Using the towel, gradually roll up like a Swiss roll.
- Place on a serving dish and decorate with whipped cream (optional) and fruit if you wish. ( Decorate using a pastry bag with a star tip or fill a zippered plastic bag with whipped cream and cut a hole in the corner like I did.)
- How to make a roulade paper case:
- Using parchment paper or nonstick kitchen paper.
- It should be 8″ by 12″. Pencil can be used to draw the dimensions but fold to keep the pencil marks to the outside of the case.
- Fold the border on all 4 sides.
- Use paperclips or staple to secure the corners.
- Lightly brush with melted butter or oil.
- Slide the case onto a baking sheet.
Dark chocolate is good for you!
If you follow the rule of eating or cooking with 70% cocoa solids – dark chocolate – then you are ahead of the game. Chocolate lovers do not have to abstain from chocolate due to its high fat and sugar content. After all dark chocolate is rich in minerals, such as iron, magnesium, and zinc. The cocoa in dark chocolate also contains antioxidants called flavonoids, which may provide several health benefits.